POND MADNESS!

Whats up everyone,
BASSnJT here with a pond report. Coleman ponds are heating up with more action as the water temperature is rising. Bass are starting to move up onto the shore, finding small trees and brush are good places to try. The Santa clara water district is kinda slow, but some bass in the 3lb range have been caught in small pockets and deep holes. Monterey ponds are muddy, and fishing has been slow. The Denny's and Oakridge ponds are producing cookie cutters and 2lbers as normal. The coming of warmer weather should bring those bass up to their beds.Right now bass are getting ready to spawn, so they are in that transitional stage of finickiness. I give it until next weekend if the weather remains good, and the bass will be on the full on spawn. So remember, get off the couch, grab your rods and gear, and get out here and come Rip Some Lipps. Yeeetadeeee!
watup james!!! its nick the guy chris was talking on the phone too.. how did you do out there today?
Thursday I fished an hour at lunch. And Friday I fished 1/2 before and 1/2 hr after sunset. Saw many bass near shore, by the hole in the fence near the apartments. I threw weightless worms, swimbaits, crankbaits, big jigs, small grubs, lizzards, even a zara puppy. Thursday I thought I had one very soft bite on a roboworm, like he picked it up & swam with it slowly. Could have been water drag on my line, though. Friday I saw one following my swimbait on slow retrieve, couldn't interest him by dropping it. Everything else spooked them.

I just started fishing this pond and admit I haven't put that much effort into it. But thursday was the first time i've ever seen a fish there. And besides geese and turtles, I have seen no signs of life period. So what's the natural forage? I guess "natural" is the wrong word, but you know what i mean.
zio wrote:
Thursday I fished an hour at lunch. And Friday I fished 1/2 before and 1/2 hr after sunset. Saw many bass near shore, by the hole in the fence near the apartments. I threw weightless worms, swimbaits, crankbaits, big jigs, small grubs, lizzards, even a zara puppy. Thursday I thought I had one very soft bite on a roboworm, like he picked it up & swam with it slowly. Could have been water drag on my line, though. Friday I saw one following my swimbait on slow retrieve, couldn't interest him by dropping it. Everything else spooked them.

I just started fishing this pond and admit I haven't put that much effort into it. But thursday was the first time i've ever seen a fish there. And besides geese and turtles, I have seen no signs of life period. So what's the natural forage? I guess "natural" is the wrong word, but you know what i mean.

Which ponds are you speaking of?
I think he's talking about the oakridge ponds. Thats about the only place I can recall having a hole in the fence near some apartments.
ive been fishing the water district lately. seems like its been on fire for me
Sorry - Oakridge Ponds. Guess you're not mind readers, huh? ;)
Regarding the Oakridge ponds - what is up with the aqua blue dyed water? I heard it was for algae and water plant control. If you kill the natural environment of the ponds, don't you eventually kill off the fish? I used to catch bass there as a kid, I visited a few weeks back and saw a couple of turtles. I saw no fish. They must be sitting deep.

Hey Hogaholic - Regarding the water district - How do you get there? is it the Los Alamitos Perc Ponds (two islands) north of Almaden Lake? I see it on Google maps. Or is it a different place?

Thanks guys.

Sean
zio wrote:
Sorry - Oakridge Ponds. Guess you're not mind readers, huh? ;)

ah i thought you might have been talking about coleman ponds. its just tough fishin right now, id give it a couple weeks if that and i think threads here will start lookin very different
Sean O Matic wrote:
Regarding the Oakridge ponds - what is up with the aqua blue dyed water? I heard it was for algae and water plant control. If you kill the natural environment of the ponds, don't you eventually kill off the fish? I used to catch bass there as a kid, I visited a few weeks back and saw a couple of turtles. I saw no fish. They must be sitting deep.

Hey Hogaholic - Regarding the water district - How do you get there? is it the Los Alamitos Perc Ponds (two islands) north of Almaden Lake? I see it on Google maps. Or is it a different place?

Thanks guys.

Sean

Thats the one bro. its on the same side of almaden rd as almaden lake. if you turned down almaden from blossom hill, it would be the next light you make a left on. good luck out there
hogaholic wrote:

The water dist. is fun, when are we going again, Chris.

Rich
The blue dye is called Aqua Shade it's put into the ponds to prevent aquatic plants and algae from growing and clogging up the percolation pores. The ponds are used to percolate water into the percolation zone below the sediment layers aka the aquifer. It's one of our ways to store winter/fall runoff from the rains so we can have water in the summer.

As for the ecological affects of this dye. This dye doesn't affect the growth of phytoplankton which can be used by invertebrates for food. Once you have invertebrates you can have bluegills and then bass.
Ender wrote:
The blue dye is called Aqua Shade it's put into the ponds to prevent aquatic plants and algae from growing and clogging up the percolation pores. The ponds are used to percolate water into the percolation zone below the sediment layers aka the aquifer. It's one of our ways to store winter/fall runoff from the rains so we can have water in the summer.

As for the ecological affects of this dye. This dye doesn't affect the growth of phytoplankton which can be used by invertebrates for food. Once you have invertebrates you can have bluegills and then bass.

thanks for the explanation!

the coleman ponds have tons of minnows all over too!
rahrah710 wrote:
hogaholic wrote:

Rich

Tomorrow morning???? ill call you
hogaholic wrote:
rahrah710 wrote:
hogaholic wrote:

Rich

Tomorrow morning???? ill call you

No phone call, sorry I couldn't wait. Ripped 1 3.3 lber at the water dist. I want to go to Uvas one of these days, any input on that place.
rahrah710 wrote:

No phone call, sorry I couldn't wait. Ripped 1 3.3 lber at the water dist. I want to go to Uvas one of these days, any input on that place.

Your post intrigued me so i went to Uvas, have been meaning to check it out since i live in the back of almaden n have never gone there. The water is really muddy, and i didnt put too much effort there to be honest. No bites buts LOTS of fisherman, lots of fat lazy bait soakers too(sorry). Ill be going back there but not for a bit to give it more time to clear up.

I stopped by coleman ponds after though and brought in two. one nice 1-2lber on a finesse jig, one sub-1lber on a dropshotted worm
Hey bro, i know Uvas pretty well bro. spent a ton of hours there and have a few good spots. let me know when you want to go. im down. prefer another early morning trip if possible.
[quote="hogaholic"]Hey bro, i know Uvas pretty well bro. spent a ton of hours there and have a few good spots. let me know when you want to go. im down. prefer another early morning trip if possible.[/quote
sounds good bro, I was talking to a friend at work today, and we might have to try another spot also, he caught a 4.5lb on sunday.
rahrah710 wrote:
hogaholic wrote:
Hey bro, i know Uvas pretty well bro. spent a ton of hours there and have a few good spots. let me know when you want to go. im down. prefer another early morning trip if possible.[/quote
sounds good bro, I was talking to a friend at work today, and we might have to try another spot also, he caught a 4.5lb on sunday.

im down, just let me know