Produces nothing!!!

fished from 9-2 and froze my arse off. Well at least my feet. :P I lauched the toon from the paddle boats. They are doing some construction so that sucked!!
It was a nice morning till the wind picked up at 11 or so. Water was mirky and cold!

Hard to focus on fishing when you got some weird machine thing in the water making noise. Maybe it was something else.... What are those things? Mercury filters? whats with that? Cant you swim there? Just something not right with this place... Its a nice place but just weird to me.

Nothing worked for me today, threw all my colors. Should have taken the new swim bait for a swim instead. :P ;)
That suks Rick....Prolly should have spent the extra 5 min more on Almaden Express and went to Almaden Res...Place is sik...Just SH!TY Toon Launching....Specially wit the parking situation.....
Sorry to hear about this Rick. This lake can be tough. I've had many more skunks here than good days. Keep in mind this lake is heavily pressured from the banks. These bass are very smart and have seen every thing thrown at them. You got the right idea about launching the toon. There are some good flats in different parts of the lake that produce well at times. If you head out there again, let me know and I will try and meet you down there.

Last thing, its easier to launch your toon from the other side of the lake (bocce ball area).
Take care!
Hey thanks Vince. Will do!

Anyone know how deap this little lake is?
Quote:
fished from 9-2 and froze my arse off. Well at least my feet. Â :P Â I lauched the toon from the paddle boats. Â They are doing some construction so that sucked!!
It was a nice morning till the wind picked up at 11 or so. Water was mirky and cold! Â

Hard to focus on fishing when you got some weird machine thing in the water making noise. Maybe it was something else.... What are those things? Mercury filters? whats with that? Cant you swim there? Just something not right with this place... Its a nice place but just weird to me. Â

Nothing worked for me today, threw all my colors. Should have taken the new swim bait for a swim instead. Â :P ;)

Rick those silver objects in the water are Solar Bees, you guessed right about the mercury in the water. They are solar powered aeration systems designed to suck up the gunk off of the bottom and move it around. The SCVWD placed them at Almaden Lake and Almaden Resevoir to help in ridding the water of mercury. It's not the mercury, but the bacteria levels that are the problem there for swimmers.
Mercury takes a while to sicken you, hence the Solar Bees & signs all around the lake about not eating the fish there.
This place can be tough to fish (especially in the winter) but they are in there. There is an abundance of shad or some type of minnow I have seen in the spring & summer and I am sure the bass are stuffing themselves on them. Also salmon & steelhead run through this lake and the steelies are perfect swimbait size.
I have not fished this place much in the winter, but I have talked with several guys that are out there a lot. They usually have luck on jigs & senkos with the slow presentation. Spring time just throw any thing and you will get bit. Summer time try cranks, jigs, & senkos all around the island, oh yah you can never go wrong drop shotting here, works excellent.
It used to be an old rock quarry so there are all kinds of drop offs, walls, shelfs, and a few islands so the depths vary. Some areas go as deep as 40- 45 feet.
I think I still have that map of the lake (with the depths) you gave us at the bbq Kev! :)

I'll see if I can find it and email it to you Rick.
Right on guys! I may just have to give this lake another shot.
Quote:
fished from 9-2 and froze my arse off. Well at least my feet. Â :P Â I lauched the toon from the paddle boats. Â They are doing some construction so that sucked!!
It was a nice morning till the wind picked up at 11 or so. Water was mirky and cold! Â

Hard to focus on fishing when you got some weird machine thing in the water making noise. Maybe it was something else.... What are those things? Mercury filters? whats with that? Cant you swim there? Just something not right with this place... Its a nice place but just weird to me. Â

Nothing worked for me today, threw all my colors. Should have taken the new swim bait for a swim instead. Â :P ;)
What were you throwing Rick? How deep were you fishing?
Threw a jig most the day, with a drop shot rig off the side for luck :D
Then work ed the drop shot. Tried many colors. Threw some senkos and others at the island too. Dont really think I was fishing deep , but I did find some holes. Just no fish in them...