quarry lakes this sunday hopin for a whopper

Well Im finally gonna be back at it again. Hoping to get me another whopper rainbow this sunday. Well see what happens and ill post pics if I do any good.
What's the deal with this place. I've gone by once cuz I work at the Safeway close to the ponds, but I see you have to pay to fish???
Yea its the 5 dollar fishing fee that is implemented at all the east bay park district lakes but hey its how they are able to keep stocking it with nice size trout from lassen so I dont complain. Ill be out there sunday if u come threw lol
Good luck! I'll be trying my luck at Shadow Cliffs in the morning.
Let me know how u do
wanted to go out and fish after the game, but it's a little breezy here in sj. how was it at quarry?
Not to much wind but no bites
This is my local lake. Used to fish it pretty regularly but for bass on ultralight (4' 6") spin gear and really only the Rainbow side not Horseshoe. Very fun. During winter I've seen ppl troll horseshoe pretty heavily and lots do come out with nice sized fish.

Parking is another $6 unless you want to park outside the gates and walk.

I've been skunked quite a bit but I've also had really good luck there.

There are some big fish in there. Like 4-5' fish. Maybe bigger. Big shadows under water!

Good luck!

fnf
I've been goin to Quarry since I was little for trout. Yes, you have to pay but like southbaybassman said it gives them the money to stock it so I have no problem with it. It's at its lowest i've ever seen it right now. This is my PB for trout though, caught on a Kastmaster at Quarry. didn't have a scale at the time so don't know the weight.
Attachment:
MMS_Resized_Pix.jpg
Nice fish! I'm not into trout all that much but I'm sure that was a good tug!
Nice fatty. Looks like a solid 5-6lber.

SharkFlyinHigh wrote:
Yes, you have to pay but like southbaybassman said it gives them the money to stock it so I have no problem with it.

+1...and even after they charge you for fishing, its the same price or less to park/launch/fish than at a Santa Clara county lake. [green]
Yes yes this is why I also like to fish trout at this lake cuaght this one last year on january 3rd
That's a nice fish dood!
Man.. those are some nice sized trout! Thanks for the pics!

Gotta try this lake out when I have time.
Quarry Lakes is less than 10 minutes away from home. It was the second spot I ever fished when I first got into fishing as a kid. Spent a lot of time there during my pre-teen and early teenage years. It's an okay lake for trout, but far from stellar. There'll be many slow days in between the few good ones. For catfish, I'd argue it's better than the delta. Catfish in the 3-7lb range are very common and easy to limit out on; in fact, I don't think I've ever caught a catfish under 2lbs there. I just don't like the way catfish fight all that much. It's more slower pulsating head shakes, so the fight doesn't excite me.

southbayareabassman wrote:
Yes yes this is why I also like to fish trout at this lake cuaght this one last year on january 3rd

I could be totally wrong, but dang that looks like a steelhead! Fully finned and all. Quite possible because the Quarry Lakes are hydraulically connected to Alameda Creek. What did you catch it on??
Was there at rainbow today testing out my new baitcaster and the water was the lowest I've EVER seen. I shoulda taken a pic but it was dusk so it woulda been crappy.

No hits but then was only testing stuff.

Results: I suck at baitcasting! Haha
U cant tell but the tail fin isnt full and a mice tail
southbayareabassman wrote:
U cant tell but the tail fin isnt full and a mice tail

What?
i think he's referring to the first large rainbow trout pic. the tail is a bit weird looking.

was thinking the same thing when i read his post and i was like "what the hell is HE on!?!?!" haha
Yea, those lassens get their tails clipped top and bottom so it usually looks squared.

Not sure about that 2nd picture, can't really tell what the tail looks like, but almost doesn't look like the typical lassens I've seen. Both great catches though!