Reel Bearings

Has anybody swapped out their stock spool / sideplate bearings for aftermarkets such as ABEC-7 or ABEC-9 rated bearings? Was there a measurable increase in performance? I am thinking about giving my Zillions a small internal makeover.
honeslty you casnt tell the difference all that much.. ive replacedd bearing before and it dosent do mch.. but if you supertune your reels its a whole different story it will make the your casting distance better and smoother , but i recomend a professional reel guy for this.( unless you are really experienced with reels) i also recomend replacing the drag washers
Boca Bearings has good bearings for just about any reel. It will make a difference on a lower priced reel with bushings or lower grade bearings. On a Zillion...not so noticeable. But say an older Shimano or Daiwa with bushings instead of bearings....upgrading will typically increase your casting performance.

I like to upgrade drags to Carbontex. Daiwa drags on their reels are pretty smooth. Its typically several years of use before I upgrade to carbon fiber on bass reels. Drags today are smooth enough to feel bass no problem. My saltwater reels I try to upgrade as fast as possible to carbon, because the higher drag pressures. I've had more issues with Shimano's Dartanium drags than Daiwa felts, just seems to compress more easily and its gets slick after a while. Changing out drags and bearings is pretty simple. I do all my own reel work, doesnt take more much than time, patience, and a basic understanding of reels.
Basic modifications that I am considering for my Zillion Coastal are:

Replace the stock spool with the I'ZE HLC spool
Replace the spool sideplate bearings with ABEC-7
Replace the handle with a 4 BB I'ZE carbon fiber handle
Replace the knobs with ZPI Aluminum knobs or RCS 1 knobs
Replace the drag with carbontex drag washers

I am probably only going to replace the spool/sideplate bearings on my Zillion Type-R. Same goes for the Pluton. I am pretty happy with the way they perform.

Nicholas, what exactly is involved with supertuning that I should send my reel out to a professional? Maybe polishing the cam, clutch, spool tips, and main gear? Only hardcore thing I have come across is doing something extreme like porting out the main gear and drive shaft.
i forgot exactly what it is ..but ive had it done to a couple of my reels and they out perform my other reels.. read up online and you will find a bunch of info on it
Hey dockboy, do you run your bearings with the shields off or do you leave them intact? I've heard from a couple of sources that the shields can trap water inside the bearings, and since I will be using these reels in saltwater, I am a bit concerned. Should I run the bearings with the shields off? I've read that bearings with the shields removed will run slightly faster, but it seems like I will have to maintain it more often, and I am not sure if the inconvenience is worth the trouble. However, if I choose to leave the shields on and saltwater should happen to get inside the bearing, then it's over. I am willing to sacrifice a little performance for durability, but I am not sure which way to go. A bit of a dilemma here...
Well I follow Alan Tani's stance on bearings, so yes open is good. But he doesn't really bother with opening the bearing shields on small casting reels. Bearing failure is a much larger issue on a big 2 speed or something fishing 30lb and up. I follow the same guidelines. A little bit of Corrosion X on spool and sideplate bearings does it for me. Small bearings are also much cheaper to replace than large bearings you'll find on big salt reels. If you do decide to take off the shields for protection, you can also lube them with Corrosion X. With regular maintenance C-X will be fine on open bearings. I just wash my salt reels thoroughly after each use and apply C-X. My Cardiff 300 has taken a few 20 class tuna and its working just fine as a swimbait reel
Thanks Dockboy. I have finished the installation of the new bearings and also the carbon fiber drag on my Daiwa Zillion Coastal. I've gotten a noticeable increase in casting performance. I get more distance, as well as smoother, easier, and more accurate casting and pitching. I am currently using the standard issue Daiwa oil for lubrication, as I have heard that it is a good product, but I may get some Oust Met Oil or C-X in the future. I've decided to leave the shields on for now.

The drag tops out a few lbs. higher as well, as I measured it to put out around 12 lbs. max as opposed to the 8.8 stock (Not that we really need more than 8 lbs. of drag for inshore species). There was one burnt disk in the stock drag that was turning the grease black. As far as the smoothness of the carbon fiber drag, it is comparable to the stock washers aside from the higher max output. After hundreds of line peeling halibut / stripers and then some, it was about time to make a change.

I've met Alan Tani a few times before and had asked Alan Tani to do a write-up for the Zillions as they are a popular reel, but he was backed up until summer. I may have him do a rebuild my Zillion Type R as well as my Accurates when he has time.
Glad to hear it worked out. The carbon drags are nice from a longevity standpoint. Daiwa and Shimano stock drags compress badly without fail at higher drag settings. You can stop it partially by backing off drags after you fish, but carbon fiber is easier and much smoother. Sounds like you are set for the upcoming striper season!
Just this place out.

http://www.biggreenfish.com/

I have boca abec 7 orange seals in my chronarch and I have these in my curado's... They are really nice, especially for pitching. They also have kits that include the drag washers.
Sorry to bring up an old thread but this is all I found when searching.

I have an Abu Pro Max 2 that got soaked with salt water, the bearings weren't too happy on one of the recent fishing trips. I lubed them up and they seem to be ok now but I can see that the spool shaft has been scored slightly and I'm sure the bearings have got some dmamge as well.

Also is Boca the best place to get bearings or should I look elsewhere.

Thanks
Mac
fattytuna wrote:
Basic modifications that I am considering for my Zillion Coastal are:

Replace the stock spool with the I'ZE HLC spool
Replace the spool sideplate bearings with ABEC-7
Replace the handle with a 4 BB I'ZE carbon fiber handle
Replace the knobs with ZPI Aluminum knobs or RCS 1 knobs
Replace the drag with carbontex drag washers

I am probably only going to replace the spool/sideplate bearings on my Zillion Type-R. Same goes for the Pluton. I am pretty happy with the way they perform.

Nicholas, what exactly is involved with supertuning that I should send my reel out to a professional? Maybe polishing the cam, clutch, spool tips, and main gear? Only hardcore thing I have come across is doing something extreme like porting out the main gear and drive shaft.

i have two reels that have I'ze everything on it and honestly... waste of money. I love the reel. I love the reel the same as it was before. Its good, i use them all the time probaly 3-4 days a week, but in all reality, you wont notice a huge difference.

I'ze spool $110
I'ze drag washers dont know
Handle $110
Bearings, not a clue
I'ze corks $75.

tell me if its worth it.