Rods...Dobyns vs. Powell

I have a Dobyns 795 ML and I really like it. Just ordered a couple more, but almost got a Powell after I read some great reviews.

What's the word around here, Dobyns or Powell?
Quite honestly...Dobyns are great rods. I own both.

POWELL
I think that Powells are great rods, however I am not a huge fan of their guides. They just don't seem durable. I also think that the Powells are a little bit top heavy. Look at the rod tip and compare it to a Dobyns. I would say that the Powells are great for the price, but then again they don't look very original. They make a great glass rod though.

DOBYNS
I really can't find anything wrong with them. I have many Dobyn's rods and have let lots of people use my Dobyns. They have three series of rods; Savvy Series, Champion and Champion Extreme. I have Champion Extreme on most of my rods and I have one Champion Series. I've bought the Savvys but upgraded to Champion Extreme because I honestly believe they are as good, if not far better than a GLX. A great benefit with Dobyns rods...Kiegan Guides, strong, durable, and transfer sensitivity very well, almost like a recoil guide. The Dobyn's rods are also look as nice as they perform....amazing!

Now I do need to Clarify some information about Dobyns Rods. For a while people would bash Gary and his company. I don't blame those who did at that time frame. The situation was that Gary had a few faulty runs on his original rods that were stamped with the Lamiglas and Dobyns logo (First Generation). Many anglers were claiming his rods would break on hooksets and casting and even when fighting the fish. I have a few of those first generation rods, I have only broken one of them, and it was because the airlines crushed it when I had it shipped to a tournament. Since the "faulty" runs of rods, Gary has done ALOT of research to find a reliable rod builder. The rods are no longer made in China, Taiwan or any place with low Quality control standards. Now they are being built in Korea and inspected before it leaves the factory and also when it is recieved in the Dobyn's warehouse in Yuba City. Gary's rods are built very well now. Not only is the quality better, but the customer service is far better now. I had all my rods break on that airplane shipment and I called Dobyns told them that all my rods were broken and that I needed replacements for my tournament that week and within 24 hours I had all brand new replacement rods. The shipping is incredibly fast.

Another lil fact. Warranty Replacement
Powell $40-60 per rod. Thats almost 1/3 of the cost of a new one
Gloomis $100 Per rod and can only be exchanged once (they now have serial numbers on certain rods) thats 20-50% of the cost of a new rod.
Dobyns $60 per rod, regardless of model. They also will send you guides and not make you pay the $60.

This is just my two cents, just let me know if you have any other questions. Gary Dobyn's makes such a great product, that is why San Jose State University Bass Fishing Team proudly uses all his rods.
Yeah, I have 4 Champion series and they are great rods. I have never tried a Powell. Thanks for the info
dude what the hell is wrong with you.. who do you think you are going around the website while no body no who you are and trying to start stuff bro.. my recomendation is just leave the website and never post again.. by the way booyah sucks
booyah wrote:
wow grayelephag, u sound like ur hardcore man! u beat it to Gary Dobyns or what?

Ur dam right he is a hardcore man!!!!!!

and, im sorry Anthony but i have say Powell, Powell, and Powell all the way!!!
Powell any day over a dobyns....Have a dobyns ss703 spinning and its not working out too well for me. Ive caught plenty of fish on it and it handles the fish just fine, but what gets me is the accuracy of this rod...It sucks..my convergence works better if u ask me and its 1/3 the price. And yes Ive owned several powells and still do. Will never buy another dobyns...if anyones interested in it let me know..
+1 on the Dobyns rods. A big fan here.
Yeah I own a powell and dobyns rods but I have to say I love my dobyns more...
theonlywall wrote:

bad pony!!!!...ur powell is attracted to me....he wants to join the clan
bluegillmaniac657 wrote:
theonlywall wrote:

bad pony!!!!...ur powell is attracted to me....he wants to join the clan

I know who I'm taking out next time...David!!!...Go Dobyns
Had my new Dobyns rods for a couple weeks now...all they make me want is more rods!
What about Loomis? A lot of people I fish with think those rods are created by sweet baby Jesus himself
They probably are some of the best, but also overpriced.
Loomis are great rods as well. However with there new serial number warranty issue, you will only be able to replace the rod once through warranty and its 100 per rod. I think it will hurt loomis in the long run.

Denise is offering a free Dobyns Rods Demo Program. Leave Credit card infor and pick on of the three series. Give it a shot. You will like them. They got a 704 Champion extreme that is totally bad ass.
I've never fished a Dobyns OR a Powell rod, all I've got are Loomis and a Zillion. I'll have to visit Coyote and check it out
sam o wrote:
I've never fished a Dobyns OR a Powell rod, all I've got are Loomis and a Zillion. I'll have to visit Coyote and check it out

If you ever see me out, I got mostly Dobyns everything, just let me know and you can try them out. Look for asian guy, white glasses and terrible sunglass tan.
haha awesome thanks
Both of those rods are great. I own mostly powell, but have a Dobyns also. My brother in law has mostly Dobyn's. A little info about the two. If yuo look at them closley you can see they are typically the same design, that is because Gary Designed them. He had a fall out with the owners of Powell and went his own way. Powell got the rods out first as Gary was looking for a manufacture for the rods. The first run of the rods had a lot of bad egg. Now there tends to be ni o problem. You can't go wrong either way. Gary makes them for every level of fisherman and his prices refeledt that. Powell has stuck to the original design and has't added much to there line. There prices have come down some and thats a good thing. All my Powell rods are before Gary had his out, i think i've only bought two since then. If i need new rods I am sure I'll give Dobyns rods a try. Either rod will work just fine.
CABassBuster21 wrote:
Both of those rods are great. I own mostly powell, but have a Dobyns also. My brother in law has mostly Dobyn's. A little info about the two. If yuo look at them closley you can see they are typically the same design, that is because Gary Designed them. He had a fall out with the owners of Powell and went his own way. Powell got the rods out first as Gary was looking for a manufacture for the rods. The first run of the rods had a lot of bad egg. Now there tends to be ni o problem. You can't go wrong either way. Gary makes them for every level of fisherman and his prices refeledt that. Powell has stuck to the original design and has't added much to there line. There prices have come down some and thats a good thing. All my Powell rods are before Gary had his out, i think i've only bought two since then. If i need new rods I am sure I'll give Dobyns rods a try. Either rod will work just fine.

+1 Well said
Just picked up a DX 704 this weekend at the Coyote Bait sale....stoked!