San Jose Bank Tournament Idea

Ok guys, I've been thinking about this for a bit and I would like to see what ya'll think. Here's the outline for the tournament that I've been pondering:

8:30am start time (to allow for people who choose to fish county lakes like calero etc etc), 4:00pm check in time at designated meeting spot.
Shore fishing only, no boats, no tubes, no kayaks. Your feet have to be on terra firma.
$20 buy in
You can fish at any lake in Santa Clara County, the farther you decide to fish from the meeting spot, the less time on the water you will have (meeting spot will probably be a Starbucks off of Almaden).
At 7am, we all meet at a designated spot, everyone needs to have a digital scale and digital camera (phone is ok as long as we can see the weight clearly on the scale)
I will bring stickers to put on each persons scale so that we will all know the fish was caught the day of the tournament. The sticker with the displayed weight must be visible in the photo (if someone wants to bring a random sticker to place on my scale, that would be fine. I don't want any drama or skepticism)
I will bring a 2 pound lead weight and put it on everyones scale and keep track of the +/-. For instance, if your scale says 2.3 pounds on the 2pound weight, you will have 0.3# deducted from your total for each fish you catch (we could also do this as a big fish tournament to make it easier).
No live bait, artificials only.
Large Mouth Bass are the only fish that qualify.
You can fish multiple lakes/spots. Feel free to drive to a different spot if where your fishing sucks.

Prizes: I think paying out the top 3 (60% for 1st, 25% for 2nd, 15% for 3rd) places would be best and as an added incentive, for first place I would be willing to build a rod for whoever wins for just the cost of components. So for instance, if first place pays out $250, you could take up to the total amount (or if you wanted to get crazy, add some of your own money) to use towards components for a custom rod and there will be no labor charge. You can get a helluva bass rod for $250 in components (titanium guides on one of the best blanks available with Flor grade cork). I will put your name on the rod as well as "1st Place SJ Bass Tournament 2011" and the rod will be built to your specifications in the colors that you choose. Or, if this doesn't interest the winner, you can just take the cash :)

Let me know what you guys think and if this sounds like something you would be interested in.

Most of you guys have already seen some of the rods I've built, but here are some pics if you haven't, also, ignore the fuzzies on the cord grip handle. I had just sprayed it with Spar Urethane so that's why it looks like that in the pic:

Some SF Giants and SJ Sharks themed rods.

sounds like a great idea.. but anything with money involved you would need a tournament liscense and you could get in big trouble.. like a few years back a few sjb members tried to have a sjb shootout and they had gotten caught by DFG because they involved money and had no tournament liscense.. so if you were to do this thing it would have to be on the down low
nicholas.trinh wrote:
sounds like a great idea.. but anything with money involved you would need a tournament liscense and you could get in big trouble.. like a few years back a few sjb members tried to have a sjb shootout and they had gotten caught by DFG because they involved money and had no tournament liscense.. so if you were to do this thing it would have to be on the down low

How is this any different than a jackpot on a party boat? I don't think it would be an issue.
Umm good question , however in the party boat scenario you have bunch of players on a boat in the water ,that's the diff no can catch them, coast guard ain't gonna waste their time or resources

On land well there you go DFG and park rangers love jacking with bass anglers all day long , I'm out unless it's a certified legal tourney
almadenbassmaster wrote:
Umm good question , however in the party boat scenario you have bunch of players on a boat in the water ,that's the diff no can catch them, coast guard ain't gonna waste their time or resources

On land well there you go DFG and park rangers love jacking with bass anglers all day long , I'm out unless it's a certified legal tourney

And on a party boat your not posting on a public website anything about something involving money it would be something done randomly before your there. Or as mentioned kept on the down low.
Do it through pm basically.
I was there for the hoopla at Anderson.
Not fun.
What happened at anderson?
Should be ok if all fees are collected prior to fishing date. No gathering/organizing in park so there is no permit for a gathering on the lake. Everyone will be on foot on different lakes, so will the rangers go to every lake and walk the banks to check everybody out...doubt it. Keep it a freindly wager and no paper work, just by word of mouth with no paper trail. Therefore no proof! Sounds fun...

PS I like the look of your custom rods!
If you dont think the rangers will walk the bank you got another thing coming try it. I was also ther e for the little anderson fiasco it was pretty F'd up. Just stop talking about and keep things like this on the DL.
Not that they won't walk the banks, I know they do, just nothing they can prove we are part of anything besides bank fishing on foot. I think the Anderson thing was a gathering permit issue. They want a piece of the pie. Surprized they aren't asking everyone if we know eachother when we get there and make us buy a gathering permit. Such a joke!
Tournaments, gatherings, turkey shoots, etc. all need a permit. If you are giving out money. It is applied for a year in advance. Also these organized gatherings need insurance. Groups of 50 or more require a different permit.

The loop hole is the prizes/ winnings. You don't hand out $$$.
Was out at Uvas last week and was checked for my license by a DFG warden. I have never seen those guys out there and I have been fishin Uvas for over 20 years. Good to see them showing their presence though, to many dudes out there keepin under sized fish and going over their limits.
Pm's and text messages are a great thing in todays age. Private and out of site lol
out of sight(site) out of mind.. }:(