Sharks!

Hit Monterey Bay again with Capt. Winddog and a friend of mine for what will most likely be the last trip of the rockfish season. Here's Steve's fish, the second of two soupfin sharks(I think), that decided to tow us around while we were targeting lings. Nice adrenaline pumping surprise! Unfortunately my friend, who is normally an excellent camera jockey, totally failed to document my epic battle with the with these blood-thirsty, man eating, leviathans of the deep >:-( [green] .

I had a blast Houla, also glad to now know what has been breaking us off all this season.
That's totally cool. Not 1 but 2 huh? I bet it was a fun fight.

Way to go guys! Thanks for sharing.
Holy crap! That thing is huge! I was expecting lots of rolling and thrashing but he looked pretty calm just swimming around.

Nice catch by the way.. I wouldn't know what to do if a shark that big took my line. Never ever caught anything that big before. [8|]

So did you keep it or let it go? Can you even eat shark?
hybrid90 wrote:
Holy crap! That thing is huge! I was expecting lots of rolling and thrashing but he looked pretty calm just swimming around.

Nice catch by the way.. I wouldn't know what to do if a shark that big took my line. Never ever caught anything that big before. [8|]

They are reported to be good eating, but not buy me! We letm' go.
It put up a great fight, the video is at the end of the fight so he was tired. What it dosen't show is us trying to get the hook out of his mouth. The wire leader ended breaking at the hook loop. I'm told that simply holding them upside down will put them to sleep, I was trying to do that when the leader broke.
IBangBangU wrote:
That's totally cool. Not 1 but 2 huh? I bet it was a fun fight.

Way to go guys! Thanks for sharing.

You should go get em' in your yak. Now that would be a rush!
Winddog wrote:
hybrid90 wrote:

They are reported to be good eating, but not buy me! We letm' go.
It put up a great fight, the video is at the end of the fight so he was tired. What it dosen't show is us trying to get the hook out of his mouth. The wire leader ended breaking at the hook loop. I'm told that simply holding them upside down will put them to sleep, I was trying to do that when the leader broke.

They have great fight! Winddog even commented that his drag was at full crank and the reel was getting hot lol
Steel leaders for the win! I still have hopes that some of those big hits are from King Ling!
What kidn of shark?
Ender wrote:
What kidn of shark?

Go back & read the first post. (8-|
Or the title of the video... ;)
Ender wrote:
What kidn of shark?

Great white.
Great job guys! If its the last trip for the year you guys went out with a bang! Soupfin....So it was an accidental catch huh?
Trying to catch lings and came up with a shark! That must have been a surprise as well as a rush! What kind of bait were you guys using?
Gonna be heading out this saturday...I'll let you guys know how I do.
Tight lines,

GS
GhostSalyer wrote:
Great job guys! If its the last trip for the year you guys went out with a bang! Soupfin....So it was an accidental catch huh?
Trying to catch lings and came up with a shark! That must have been a surprise as well as a rush! What kind of bait were you guys using?
Gonna be heading out this saturday...I'll let you guys know how I do.
Tight lines,

GS

Hopefully not the last trip!
The long story is My buddies & I have been fishing this spot for the last mounth or so, we were scoring Lings but every so offten somebody would hook something big & get broke off. So I decided to go with a steel leader, just to see what was breaking us off. Was hoping it was a monster Ling, turns out it was a shark. We were using squid & baby blues.
Good luck in Capitola this weekend!
Winddog,
I'm actually planning on going again the last saturday of this month...it all depends on the weather though.
Thats awsome! Mystery solved! There is a particular spot we found in capitola that has produced lings for us every time! We call it ling ally! lol.
I hope were able to limit out on cod and catch some bonus lings and other fish. What has worked best for you for the lings?
All the lings my buddys and I have caught this year (10) came on kings.
GhostSalyer wrote:
There is a particular spot we found in capitola that has produced lings for us every time! We call it ling ally! lol.

Hey! that name is taken! lol
houla wrote:
GhostSalyer wrote:
There is a particular spot we found in capitola that has produced lings for us every time! We call it ling ally! lol.

I guess the ally just got that much bigger! [8|] lol
GhostSalyer wrote:
houla wrote:
GhostSalyer wrote:

I guess the ally just got that much bigger! [8|] lol

Or, Ling Alley North = Crapitola
Ling Alley South= Monterey
Crapitola...lol.

I'd have to admit that most of the lings I've seen come out of Capitola aren't that big. Ling Alley South has the bigger boys cruising around in my opinion. [green]
IBangBangU wrote:
Crapitola...lol.

I'd have to admit that most of the lings I've seen come out of Capitola aren't that big. Ling Alley South has the bigger boys cruising around in my opinion. [green]

If I had it dialed like GhostSalyer maybe I wouldn't call it that. [red] Mostly my problem with Capitola is the mindless hoard you have to deal with getting to & from the water. (8-|
Winddog wrote:
IBangBangU wrote:
Crapitola...lol.

If I had it dialed like GhostSalyer maybe I wouldn't call it that. [red] Mostly my problem with Capitola is the mindless hoard you have to deal with getting to & from the water. (8-|

Yeah. The ones I've caught have been in the 23"-28" Range.
When I went out with buddy a few months ago he caught a 36".....that thing was a monster!
I wouldn't say I have it dialed in. It helps a lot when you have a GPS and are able to mark waypoints for future referance.
It did take me a few outings to find the honey holes, the areas that would consistantly produce rock fish, the areas where we would hook up lings on every drift. It just takes time and luck mostly. Hook up a big fish and mark it immediatly....drift over that same spot again.
I do like Capitola...it's been good to me! :)