Shore Fishing in SSF or SF Areas?

going out to chicago for work on wednesday afternoon so i figured i'd soak some bait close to SFO before i head out.

i've gone to a few spots that i know are normally productive for perch, at least in summer, but just went out on sunday and it was completely dead. not even a single bite.

anyone have any info on bank spots near SFO.

lower SF or SSF would be ok too.

any info would be appreciated.

thanks!

fnf
This will be of little help since I don't have a ton of experience fishing the bay but...
I have fished the area by Kincaid's restaurant off of Airport Blvd. in Burlingame all of two times. The first time was a couple years ago. Went out there to blindly chuck a bucktail on a rainy day. Don't remember why I chose that spot, or even what month it was lol . What I do know is that I hooked up with a real decent fish which cut me off on the rocks. The last time I was there was probably a month ago. Went there, again blindly without any reports etc., just to check out my new reel, this time chucking a smallish swimbait....skunked.
Why did I bother to write such an informative report? Because it's a cool area that looks fishy with a couple areas of moving water. It's easy to access, easy to walk, and it's close to the airport. There's even a weird little triangular fishing pier. I hooked(and lost) a decent fish there. Plus, I don't know if anyone else will respond, but if they do, I am now automatically subscribed to this thread lol
Thx man. Will have ta google it up.

Anyone ever try the Brisbane Tubes/pumps?

Saw a guy fishing there on the inside or west side of freeway but he didn't speak English well so couldn't communicate too well.

There's a YouTube vid with guys catching small sharks but nothing major. Plus that was in summer.

Wouldn't mind throwing some bucktails out there come summer.
houla wrote:
This will be of little help since I don't have a ton of experience fishing the bay but...
I have fished the area by Kincaid's restaurant off of Airport Blvd. in Burlingame all of two times. The first time was a couple years ago. Went out there to blindly chuck a bucktail on a rainy day. Don't remember why I chose that spot, or even what month it was lol . What I do know is that I hooked up with a real decent fish which cut me off on the rocks. The last time I was there was probably a month ago. Went there, again blindly without any reports etc., just to check out my new reel, this time chucking a smallish swimbait....skunked.

so i've googled it up...

looks decent, but not sure it would be productive this time of the year. maybe in spring or summer.

either way, i'll have time to spare, so i may check it out.

probably soaking shrimp or squid and casting out with another rod to see if anything hits.

ok well i think i have the area.

anyone else has info they'd like to share please do. i'm willing to put in the work and report, just need the heads-up.

thx!

fnf
I have fished that area and Genentech a bunch of times (mostly at night). There are stripers in that area, I don't know if there's a lot in the winter time. If you go, that area is best at high tide. You can fish the bend at Coyote Point where it goes from the open water into the lagoon. You can fish in front of the Kincaids, you can fish by the ShowBoat too. If you fish in front of Kincaids use a light/small hairraiser. If you fish the turning point at coyote use the biggest rapala or broken back you have. The water is always murky so you should use the biggest bait you can get away with. If you want to fish rays or sharks the little pier in front of Embassy Suites is pretty good. Again, if its not an incoming you're probably not going to get anything. Good luck!
Thx man. Will report a little later today!

fnf
well...

as they say. the worse day fishing is still better than the best day working.

...unless you catch something then it's a great day fishing is even better than the worst day fishing or best day working. 8-)

got there a bit late (took kids to school), about 9a'ish.

there was an older man there rigging up a huge surf rod. said he was going for stripes and or 'buts with whole anchovies. in the time i was there he got a few bites but nothing stuck.

since he mentioned there were stripes in the area, i decided to start with my light rod and casted out a hair bucktail. did that about 10 times with no luck so brought out the heavier rod (can only use one rod at a time). rigged it up to soak bait.

not too long into my first cast i was able to land a shark on a whole store bought shrimp! luckily i was using a steel hi/lo leader with circle hooks. on the top hook i had a whole 3" peeled shrimp and on the bottom i rigged a whole squid. i got a hit and then silent. left the rod alone. then got another big wham and went over. silent again...then the old man said hey there you go! and line pulled and went slack. after watching it for a sec we seen a nice surface splash and we both thought it was a stripe! i was pretty excited! had never had a stripe make my line go slack. usually they pull and keep pulling, but since he thought it was also a stripe i was really hoping it was in fact a stripe!

pulled it close and found it to be a 32" leopard!

released to fight another day (undersized-not that i'd carry it to chicago anyhow haha). he actually hung around the shore for a bit. prob 5 min or so just cruising. was kinda cool to see.

i then switched to my light rod and tried the bucktail again. nothing. switched it up and put on a hi/lo on it with smaller circle hooks. put on some small pieces of shrimp and got a few hits right away. ended up pulling out a fairly large jacksmelt. let it go and rigged another piece of shrimp on top and then a piece of squid on the bottom. pretty small pieces.

got a few hits but nothing stuck. after a while i got a really good hit, but that didn't stick either.

waited for about an hour or so with no more hits. got a few more hits and then landed another fairly large smelt.

no smelt pix...

nothing else was caught that i saw.

there was one other guy fishing there but he had no hits at all.

fyi: fished the top of the outgoing tide and close to low tide as well.

over all very productive morning!

i think i'll be back there soon and give it another go. although, i hear it can get kinda sketchy with no-gooders, just be careful if you go.

thx for the info. off to chicago!

fnf
Right on man!
Told ya' that place was fishy lol . Guess I gotta try chucking bait there. Those leopards sure are pretty fish. Have a good trip!
Thx dude. Actually I fished north of the area we talked about.

Had parking next to the water so I went for it. It's actually a really good spot because of the point it has.

I'll def be back there soon.

I'm down to check it out if anyone else is.

fnf

Edit: forgot to mention. While I was in the air I noticed a few other good lookin spots too! [8:)
I was just editing my post to ask exactly where you were cause' it didn't totally look familiar, and the area I suggested doesn't seem sketchy at all. lol
F33r - where is this spot and can you park right next to the water or do you have to lug your crap out to the water? Or is this the Airport Blvd. place that you were talking about?

Thanks
hybrid90 wrote:
F33r - where is this spot and can you park right next to the water or do you have to lug your crap out to the water? Or is this the Airport Blvd. place that you were talking about?

Thanks

pm in your inbox, buddy. 8-)
Hey guys, I'm a local around lakes around San Jose but I want to expand into Striper fishing(luring) do you guy know a decent place to do so? I heard of coyote point and seen videos of that "Sharkman HD" which really stimulates me! haha but I have no clue where to go, to mean ocean is a different story. Please let me know advice for what to look for. Also a decent easy place no big fish needed just some where to lure for Striper.
You can email me if you like to keep it personal, thank you. :D
lwindryderl@yahoo.com

Catch and Release ftw.
Pacifica pier and beaches around it, halfmoon bay beaches, capitola pier and beaches down to Monterey.

In the bay try local piers but truth be told I've never had luck on stripes within the bay yet. I've seen some out of Berkeley pier tho.

Good luck.

fnf
Thx you sir :) I head San Mateo or this one part by Oakland air port is good. Does anyone know when is a good time to give it a try or not too?