Shore Fishing

My daughter and I just started bass fishing. We are only going to be fishing from shore. I was wondering if you all had any tips for fishing from shore?
If you see gum on the ground its not for you to pick upand chew just leave it. Some leaves are OK to use but make sure your not allergic or you'll get a rash. Don't talk to strangers unless they have a pool and a smile. Always trip your waiter.

But on a serious note take lures that you'll use that day and pack lightly and don't spend more than 30mins in one spot move from spot to spot. And go early that's better then don't just try on retrieval on the lure your using. Don't rush it I know we get tired but we need to remember 5 fish is better than no fish hahaha enjoy.
Like BigBearBass said, the key is to keep moving. Casting in virgin water gives you the highest probability of getting hit. Use a search bait to cover more area and switch to a more finesse approach if you find a pattern.
Sorry for the newbie questions but what is considered a search bait and what do you consider a pattern.
I will not claim to be an expert, but I have been a bank fisherman for most of my "career" lol . A search bait is a lure you can "run n'gun". Something that you generally retrieve faster than say a "rubber worm". Walk the bank, fan-casting with a crankbait , spinnerbait, fluke, etc. targeting the more aggressive fish until you get a hit. Then you can slow the fishing methods down to say a dropshot , shakey head, etc. Odds are, if you caught one fish there, you might catch more.
The biggest problem I've found with that theory is, you may never get that hit on the "search bait", especially if you only have a limited stretch of bank to walk...

This of couse is why guys who regularly catch big pigs while walking the shoreline are truly the better bass fishermen. Boating is cheating. [green]
houla wrote:

This of couse is why guys who regularly catch big pigs while walking the shoreline are truly the better bass fishermen. Boating is cheating. [green]

+1 lol lol lol lol lol but boat fishing and shore fishing is like oil and water lol lol
bighurt408 wrote:
houla wrote:

+1 lol lol lol lol lol but boat fishing and shore fishing is like oil and water lol lol

I wasn't referring to you bro, your pics are all Photochopped n' chit . lol
Sunscreen is a MUST as it's easy to lose track of time and next thing you know 2-3 hours have passed and your neck/arms/legs are burned. Wear polarized glasses so you can see the water, not so much as to look for fish but to check for structure/bottom/clarity. In the spring(i.e. right now) when bass are pre-spawn/spawn look for soft bottoms since that's where they'll concentrate as they get ready to spawn. Also try to "be the fish" and figure out their behavioral patterns. For example after a cold winter as warmer weather occurs, bass will go to the shallows which have warmed up in the late afternoons to feed. Bass also like to chase smaller baitfish into coves and creeks and hover around points/dropoffs as they wait for baitfish to swim by. A lot of shore fishing is trial and error, spending a lot of time hiking miles of shoreline at any particular lake/reservoir to find where the fish are. Eventually you'll find productive spots that you'll feel confident in giving yourself a good chance at catching a fish.
Great info shirt 98 , as walking shore careful not to let your shadow lead your pathway in the water some bass really close to shore around dropoffs , next to out croppings weeds ,logs ,cement pipes etc, look into the water check for clear patches of dirt sand ,in a place that has rocks and stuff around it ,,,,,your shadow can spook these fish but if you are looking you will see them jet out big momma is out there !!
Good luck post your results!

Welcome to forum
Thanks all for the great tips. I will be trying them out next time I get out.
houla wrote:
bighurt408 wrote:
houla wrote:

I wasn't referring to you bro, your pics are all Photochopped n' chit . lol

yep making dinks in to hogs cropping fish to fit my hand lol lol lol lol lol u wish I did only blur [green] [green]

+1 blackshirt right on point with info
MustangMike wrote:
Sorry for the newbie questions but what is considered a search bait and what do you consider a pattern.

My current favorite kind of 'search bait', per say, are soft swimbaits of different kind and (swim)jigs. The following one is small enough swimbait (3" or 4") for smaller fish and pretty inexpensive:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Storm_Wi ... e-SWE.html