shore rockfishing 11-17

I took a friend fishing on Sunday. It was his first time fishing off the rocks for rockfish/cabezon/lingcod. We fished from 10-1230 (had to be home in time to watch the Niners disappoint). We were south of Monterey area. High tide was a mid-5ft around 9:45am. The forecast said 5-8ft NW swell with a small South swell mixed in. Wind was about 8-12kts onshore. But the conditions were a little rougher than I anticipated. The waves were coming in at more of a westerly angle, so they made it tougher to fish this spot.

I was using a 10ft Daiwa Sealine rod and Daiwa Sealine Black spinning reel w/60lb braid and 20lb mono leader. The leader was about 3ft and I tied a dropper loop about 18" above the sinker. I attach the hook directly to the dropper loop to minimize snags. We used chunks of frozen squid on 3/0 octopus hooks.

It was a good day to learn how to manage your line and avoid snags. And fortunately, my noobie buddy only broke his line 2 or 3 times, which is pretty good. I broke my line on the first cast--then didn't break off again. I got a couple solid bites that came unbuttoned. Then I landed a nice fat grass rockfish. It was the 2nd biggest grassy I've caught at 20" and 5lbs. Nearly a state record. I ended up releasing it because she looked preggers. Plus, now I can go back next year and harvest her when she's a new record LOL...

Kinda boring report. But I figured it's worth posting. Especially if it motivates other people to go out and enjoy a day on the rocks!

My noobie buddy right before he got soaked by a wave...

Fat grasstard

As Borat would say...Great Success!
Nice work man, that is a fat grassy.
Nice fish man.
Thanks for the report and great pics!
Sin Coast wrote:
I took a friend fishing on Sunday. It was his first time fishing off the rocks for rockfish/cabezon/lingcod. We fished from 10-1230 (had to be home in time to watch the Niners disappoint). We were south of Monterey area. High tide was a mid-5ft around 9:45am. The forecast said 5-8ft NW swell with a small South swell mixed in. Wind was about 8-12kts onshore. But the conditions were a little rougher than I anticipated. The waves were coming in at more of a westerly angle, so they made it tougher to fish this spot.

I was using a 10ft Daiwa Sealine rod and Daiwa Sealine Black spinning reel w/60lb braid and 20lb mono leader. The leader was about 3ft and I tied a dropper loop about 18" above the sinker. I attach the hook directly to the dropper loop to minimize snags. We used chunks of frozen squid on 3/0 octopus hooks.

It was a good day to learn how to manage your line and avoid snags. And fortunately, my noobie buddy only broke his line 2 or 3 times, which is pretty good. I broke my line on the first cast--then didn't break off again. I got a couple solid bites that came unbuttoned. Then I landed a nice fat grass rockfish. It was the 2nd biggest grassy I've caught at 20" and 5lbs. Nearly a state record. I ended up releasing it because she looked preggers. Plus, now I can go back next year and harvest her when she's a new record LOL...

Kinda boring report. But I figured it's worth posting. Especially if it motivates other people to go out and enjoy a day on the rocks!

My noobie buddy right before he got soaked by a wave...

Fat grasstard

As Borat would say...Great Success!

Might want to black out that big hill in the background, kinda gives away your location. ;) ;) Just kidding lol
Wouldn't you just love to drop a bait in the cove at the base of that hill though? lol

Nice work Sin.
Sin Coast wrote:

Hardly a boring report. Chock-full-O' good info with great pics to boot!
I need to brush up on my rockfish ID, I wouldn't have got that one. Are Grass rockfish more common near shore, or are they "everywhere"?
Thanks for the report.
Yeah like Houla said.. hardly a boring report. It was actually informative and with great pics to boot!

I've never actually ocean banked fish before and can't wait to get out there when I have time.

Thanks for sharing.
I've only caught grass rockfish 2 times and both times they were in thick kelp, pretty shallow waters. I've yet to hook one out in deeper water.
Thanks guys!

Yep, grass rockfish are usually found in water shallower than 30ft. I catch them from shore pretty often, especially compared to boat or kayak fishing. This one was in about 8ft of water. Other common catches from shore include black&yellow rockfish, kelp rockfish, blue or black rockfish, brown rockfish, kelp greenling, cabezon, and lingcod.
The water has been soooo flat the last 3 or 4 days...and I'm stuck at work like a dummy. Hopefully it lays down the week of Dec 8-14 because I got the week off work!
Awesome pics n report. Wish I was out somewhere but instead I'm at a soccer field for son's tourney.

Good stuff none the less but ocean waters can't be beat.

Couple questions, tho.

I usually use a double dropper or hi/lo with a 3 or 4 oz barrel sinker. you're using a single hook with what kinda sinker?

fnf