Stevens Creek Reservoir 3/27

Went out to Stevens Creek Reservoir this Sat. and did some shore fishing. I got skunked but the water levels are near 100% capacity from what I could tell, right up to the spillway.

Mainly I just wanted to make this thread to rant about someone I met there. When my buddy and I got there as we were walking along the dam a guy was pulling a pretty good sized bass out. He'd had it out of the water for at least two minutes and was gill gripping it, so I assumed he was planning to keep it. We chatted with him as we were walking by; it was a solid 4lb female with a fat belly full of eggs it looked like. I mentioned to him that he was holding a female who had yet to spawn and I preferred catch and release. He said he was going to catch and release it into his frying pan like a smarta*s.
I basically got annoyed at this point and said later and walked on, but he really chapped my hide.

That's one less female to spawn at that reservoir.
No matter where we go especially this time of year we are going to run across food fisherman that don't care about preserving the fisheries. Sometimes we'll get lucky and talk them into releasing their fish but usually not. It's frustrating but I guess all we can do is just keep spreading the word of CPR/catch, photograph and release. The Fishing Gods will smile down upon us for our efforts.

Thanks for the report on Stevens Creek haven't been there in awhile.
bassnflip wrote:
No matter where we go especially this time of year we are going to run across food fisherman that don't care about preserving the fisheries. Sometimes we'll get lucky and talk them into releasing their fish but usually not. It's frustrating but I guess all we can do is just keep spreading the word of CPR/catch, photograph and release. The Fishing Gods will smile down upon us for our efforts.

Thanks for the report on Stevens Creek haven't been there in awhile.


Yep, that is just how it is. I even pointed at the sign that says "Don't eat the fish due to mercury contamination" but he didn't care. I was totally polite of course.

Stevens Creek is looking good for this year. I really enjoyed going out there even though no fish came out of it. I'm going to be going there more often when they open 4/14 to non-power boats and float tubes.
Dang that really sucks, I would have been pissed as well. But then again non bass fisherman could care less about the survival of the species. I dont know how true this is but i was ready an article from DFG that was saying that catch and release fisherman are actually hurting fisheries more than we are helping them. Studies have shown that there are far more fish in the 1-2lb range than anything else. therefore the smaller fish outnumber the larger fish and consume the majority of the available forage. So DFG is urgeing bass anglers to keep a few of the smaller fish every now and then to help keep the numbers low. I still let them go. lol
Quote:
Studies have shown that there are far more fish in the 1-2lb range than anything else. therefore the smaller fish outnumber the larger fish and consume the majority of the available forage. So DFG is urgeing bass anglers to keep a few of the smaller fish every now and then to help keep the numbers low.


This may be true as far as increasing the number of large fish in a fishery, but I don't agree that it necessarily hurts a fishery to allow a large population of small fish to dominate. More fish=More fun, at least in my book. [green]
But i do see where they're coming from with this point... good food for thought [0-] :) [0-]
First off I'd like to say I would have gotten way too angry over this situation with him being an ass. Like you I respect the fish.
I'll continue my 'rant' about all this at a later time. Good for you to at least let him know he was a ____head.
There is a true biological need for 'culling' in certain unbalanced lakes/ponds. None of us know exactly what the balance is. The change in water levels make this even more difficult. I know for damn sure though that guy you ran into is just a selfish fool.
ALL WE CAN DO IS CONTINUE TO PRACTICE CATCH AND RELEASE, AND ALSO TRY EDUCATING THOSE THAT DONT.

SOME JACK @$$'S ARE GOING TO KEEP FISH REGARDLESS OF WHAT OTHERS SAY, ITS INEVITABLE. UNFORTUNATELY.
i agree, i was at almaden lake park last saturday and was just finished pulling the biggest bass of the day for me out, and so sooner i get the hook out of her mouth this guys comes up to me and says can i have that, and i said hell no, i throwing it back so someone else can have a chance to catch her.
LeGun wrote:
i agree, i was at almaden lake park last saturday and was just finished pulling the biggest bass of the day for me out, and so sooner i get the hook out of her mouth this guys comes up to me and says can i have that, and i said hell no, i throwing it back so someone else can have a chance to catch her.

haha love it, right in front of his face!!

does anyone else tend to notice there are certain nationalities that tend to keep bass more than others?
YES I DO!!! IM NOT GOING TO MENTION WHO. BUT IVE SEEN THEM KEEP ANY SPECIES AND ANY SIZE. THIS IS NOT THEIR COUNTRY WHERE THEY CAN KEEP ANYTHING THEY CATCH. ITS BS, MOST OF US ABIDE BY THE REGS AND SO SHOULD THEY.

PEOPLE NEED TO START USING CAL-TIP MORE OFTEN!
fishmynitro wrote:
YES I DO!!! IM NOT GOING TO MENTION WHO. BUT IVE SEEN THEM KEEP ANY SPECIES AND ANY SIZE. THIS IS NOT THEIR COUNTRY WHERE THEY CAN KEEP ANYTHING THEY CATCH. ITS BS, MOST OF US ABIDE BY THE REGS AND SO SHOULD THEY.

PEOPLE NEED TO START USING CAL-TIP MORE OFTEN!

cal tip is our friend :) lets hope the punishment is a good one...
YEAH THEY ARE!!!!!! IM TIGHT WITH SEVERAL LIEUTENANTS WITH THE DFG AND I ALWAYS GET THE 411 ON WHATS GOING ON. IVE BEEN TOLD THAT PENALTIES ARE GOING TO BE STIFFENED AND THOSE CAUGHT DOING ILLEGAL THINGS ARE NOT GOING TO LIKE THE CONSEQUENCES. SO PEOPLE PLEASE START USING CAL-TIP.

LIKE RYANERB SAID ITS OUR FRIEND! lol
So is it actually illegal to keep a bass from those waters? I was under the impression that it just wasn't recommended due to mercury.
No its not illegal to keep fish from these waters but i see people keeping under limit fish all the time and its totally f 'd up.