Striper season is here!!

Hello All,

Tis the season for the stripers. Get your rat-l-traps, spooks, swimbaits, hair-raisers and jerkbaits out and head to he Delta at first light. You are bound to run into a school of stripers. If you like the feeling of drag being peeled off of your spool, and watching a fish bust a topwater bait, then you need to be heading out to the Delta.

Get it while it's hot!

Marone
Nice! I heard you lost a fatty?
I am guessing it was 12-15 pounds. I was setting into the fish too early so i just barely missed him. There was a school of fish on a flat, all of them were "schoolie" size. (That is what regular striper fisherman call these bad boys weighing 5-10 pounds) I think these "schoolie" sized fish are amazing.

I've spent hours at the Delta and at the forebay catching loads of 1 to 2 pounders with an occasional 4 pounder multiple days and let me tell you, one 5 or ten pounder makes up for the entire day of catching dinks. No doubt about it.

We went out again a week after and I was lucky enough to find another school. Had this striper hit topwater at maybe 10:00 in the morning.

You and my bro need to get out there man! Come pick the boat up.
Nice fish now you need to teach Jim Jr. how to catch these........ and P.S. I think Marce need's to go.......and get a Video............ [8:)
Thats sick!!!! I just got the skunk at the forbay and the big lake,therw everything i had out,spooks,ratltraps,flukes,swimbaits,jigs,and bait.NOTHING! Should have known it was going to be a bad day when my brother in law hooked himself with a treble hook,went in one side of his finger and out the other one.We could not pull it out so i took him to the er,so much for waken up at four to fish,did not get to the water till about 7:30
Thanks Jim Sr.! He was following us all day, perhaps he missed that school of fish becasue he was following Jerbs :) .

Quote:
Should have known it was going to be a bad day when my brother in law hooked himself with a treble hook,

Sorry to hear about your brother in law's accident. That sucks. ESPECIALLY because it took some time out from your fishing. If it makes him feel any better, I've hooked myself in the lip before....I'll explain that some other time
Marone wrote:
Thanks Jim Sr.! He was following us all day, perhaps he missed that school of fish becasue he was following Jerbs :) .

It was a day I RATHER FORGET.....Out the launch hit a PILON!!!! Was running b hind Marone ENGINE ALARM GOES OFF loose all power....Oil res was low.....Ran outta GAS!!!!!..... [8|] [8|] [8|] [8|] [8|]

Shoot that was the most EXPENSIVE DELTA TRIP EVER!!!!! [8|] [8|] [8|] [8|]

Wont do that again!!!!....lol.....The RUNING I MEAN!!!!!....RIO VISTA WAS A MISSION!!!!!!! ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( Thats what suked up all the gas!!!!! ;( ;( ;(

Ohhhh YEAH and RACING WITH JERBS ate up the gas too.....HAhahahahahah it was fun to FINALLY GET OUT WITH YA JERBS!!!!!!!.....Was SURPRISED to not see STRAPS @ ur side...... lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol :D :D 8-)

THE RACE WAS FUN TOO......I got u out the whole and for a 1/4 mile....But once he is on PAD he has me in the LONG RUN!!!!! >:-( >:-( >:-( Try'd to keep up....But he has a SMALLER LIGHTER BOAT!!!!.....HAhahah thats my excuse and im sticking to it!!!!! (8-| (8-|

WAS also funny watching JERBS get all SQUIRRRRLLLLYYYY out there in his boat.....We must have been hittn 55-60mph.....All I know JERBS after I saw ur boat...I'll take my 20ft any day....Just that lil extra SAFETY CUSSION and CONTROL!!!!!...Ohhh plus CANT BEAT THE RIDE!!!!!!

Jr
Yea should of heard Jr. when he got home about all the gas he wasted.........lol......bet you miss that old Tracker and that 40 hp...it might not have been the safest boat for all our F@t @$$es but it caught alot of fish and it was fun, and a tank of gas used to last us for 3 or 4 trip's...... lol ....Next time you just got to hang around Frank's and don't waste so much gas..and learn where other launches are......You are out there playing and then when you ruin the boat all I'll hear is whine whine whine......now go get some cheese............ [8:)
Marone, what's the striper fishin like in the rain on the delta?
I guess it is supposed to pick up the bite. Honestly, I think it makes the fishing better. Less people on the water!! I have been out fishing for stripers in crazy rain on both the Delta and in the Forebay and caught loads of them.

Relative to Largemouth, I believe that all predatory fish's strike zones increase with overcast in the skies. Willing to chase bait a bit further than usual. Remember, Stripers are low light feeders so, overcast may help. Fish don't know that we are getting soaked and the rain may stir up the water which in turn, stirs up everything in it...the plants, the plankton, the baitfish, the bigger fish, and then the BIGGER FISH!

Also, I have read that many have been waiting for a temp to drop for the Striper action to pick up. This Fall has been a lot warmer longer than the past few years. Maybe the last few days hopefully brought the temps in the Delta down.

One last point, stripers will remain active the rest of the year until the water gets real cold. How cold, I do not know, but I will be sure to ask Bobby Barrack this coming Monday.
Marone wrote:
but I will be sure to ask Bobby Barrack this coming Monday.

Marone,
For sure do a write up article on ur guide trip,,,I did one as well but never saw Marce put it up in the article section.....I went with COOCHIE COO...It was a blast I still remember it like yesterday!!!!!....

LMK how it goes with BOBBY!!!!....Might have to learn some STRIPER TIPS from that PRO AS WELL!!!!....

Jr
da mn someone needs to call the WHAMMMMMbulance for JR....haha. I can hold your purse for you if you would like lol lol lol

Don't be mad jr...My little rocket smoked your tank...haha. How does that tank take 5 ft. rollers from cruisers..o'yeah. right over the bow....haahahaha. [8|] [8|]

It's all about the driver baby!!! Next time I'll have my trim set right and beat you outta the hole too!!!

jest jokin jr...kinda. all in good fun!

It was a fun trip too bad I only caught one fish [8|] Gettin nasty on the delta at 60+ was awesome though 8-)
jerbs wrote:
da mn someone needs to call the WHAMMMMMbulance for JR....haha. I can hold your purse for you if you would like lol lol lol

Don't be mad jr...My little rocket smoked your tank...haha. How does that tank take 5 ft. rollers from cruisers..o'yeah. right over the bow....haahahaha. [8|] [8|]

It's all about the driver baby!!! Next time I'll have my trim set right and beat you outta the hole too!!!

jest jokin jr...kinda. all in good fun!

It was a fun trip too bad I only caught one fish [8|] Gettin nasty on the delta at 60+ was awesome though 8-)

HAhahahahahahahaha.....LOL...LMAO.......

See Jerbs this is exactly why we need to fish more often.....Its just plain fun fishin wit you......Hahahahah

And those were more like 7-8ft ROLLIES!!!!! [8|] [8|] [8|] [8|] [8|] You like how I was SPEARING THOSES BAD BOYS!!!!!!!!.....

Good thing had a BILGE ran it for like 5-7 min......Talk about TAKING ON WATER!!!!! [8|]

And dont HATE MY TANK!!!!!!.....Shes got a FAT @$$ I know....But she has been a loyal boat......Just like ur BUCKET!!!!!

Jr
I was in front of you and wasn't about to look back.I was ridin them things....no water over the bow though 8-) I thought I was gonna get at least one of those badboys....gnarly [8|] 10 crusiers in a row can throw some major wakes! Gotta learn when you need to throttle and how to hit them properly.

Don't be whining about a trip either. You probably learned how to drive your boat better that day then any other....

Which part of the forebay do you typically fish? I’ve walked the Italian Slough area fishing mostly for bass, but have heard the forebay side is great for stripers indeed.

All sides. The slough side you mentioned, old river, etc. With the right timing you can certainly have a great day on the linesides.