Trout Bite Is On At Percs

They've stocked the campbell percs 2x in the last month with the recent stock going in this past week. Went over today and tons of guys out there fishing. A friend of mine says the russians invade the place when it gets stocked and thought he was joking but he wasn't as I walked down the path an old russian guy with a 20 gallon garbage bag filled with fish crossed my path. I tried to ask how many he caught and he mumbled something then I asked about bait and the only thing I could make out was corn. I'm pretty sure he had way over the limit in that bag. He could barely carry the thing. Went down to the bank to try my luck some nibbles but no commits. It was mid day though. There were russians on both sides of me fishing. One guy pulled one into bank and lost him. Good size too. I'm going to try and get in on early morning bite in the morning and will report back.

Adam
I was there yesterday too after work. Was trying for bass in the second pond and spent a little in the main pond for trout but nothing at all ;(

You wouldn't happen to be the dude with a red hoodie talking to me as you walked out to your truck would you? If so.. wassup! If not.. wassup as well [green]
blackbag wrote:
an old russian guy with a 20 gallon garbage bag filled with fish

This pisses me off more than anything else when it comes to fishing. People that take more than they should or people that keep everything they hook. I once caught a baby skate in the Half Moon Bay Jetty in low tide, must have been smaller than the palm of my hand, and I let it go. 15 minutes later some guy nearby catches the same skate, and puts it in his bucket to keep. Mustn't have been more than 2 bites of food in that thing.
Maybe he wanted it for his fishtank?
Nah it was a dry pickle bucket with 3-4 other baby fish in there.
ok guys I have to completely revoke my statement. I ran into this old feller again yesterday morning. Turns out he wasn't luggin trout at all. It was carp and catfish. I sat with him a while and he taught me how he rigs it and baiting. Nice guy, couldn't understand half of what he said but said he's been fishing 60 years which from the look of him made him about 70. He had 2 carp and 2 cats. One of the cats he said was 16 pounds and it definitely looked to be well over 10 to me. The other cat was probably about 6 and the carps close to 10. Apparently there is a ton of cat and carp in there and from what I could see him and couple other guys were the only ones fishing them everyone else was gong for the trout which as it turns out had NOT been stocked yet until this afternoon. I got confirmation from a few different guys that it went in at about 2pm. Not much of a bite though, I saw a couple guys pull some in from 4-6pm. Me and another guy I think experienced a small school of them cruise by because we both got bites within a minute of each other but no commit. I figure they are probably not going to be active for a couple days as they get used to the new territory but I'm going in the morning to see how its looking for a couple hours. Let you know how it goes.

Hybrid, wasn't me. I'm usually wearing a black hoodie, and a black jean jacket. I used to carry a small black bag for my tackle which is where my name comes from but my tackle has expanded into a big green plano bag :)

Adam
Thanks for the update BigGreenPlanoBag,
Some of the most memorable fishing experiences involve talking to the "old timers". It's a great aspect of this sport/hobby.
Update: I hit my 5 limit on both sunday and today within 2 hours. I also discovered you can't fish trout on a 40 lb braided line that you use for bass fishin on saturday. LOL
blackbag wrote:

Hybrid, wasn't me. I'm usually wearing a black hoodie, and a black jean jacket. I used to carry a small black bag for my tackle which is where my name comes from but my tackle has expanded into a big green plano bag :)

Adam

So when are you updating your screen name into BigGreenPlanoBag? [green]

Nice on the trout limit. Thinking of heading out there today. What rig and bait did you use?

Haven't been lake trout in awhile so was wondering what works for the lakes around here.
If you're going to soak bait, power eggs work.

If want to be on the move, just use a kastmaster or roostertail. Thats what I've had luck on in the past.

And like blackbag mentioned, use lighter line. I usually use 4-6lb fluoro.
Thanks Won! Looks like the weather's kinda crappy so decided to stay in.. too lazy now haha
yup 4lb with sliding sinker above the leader. For the leader I grabbed a pack of gamakatsu #10 bait holder from Mel cottons and I used an interesting combo powerbait salmon flavor on bottom of hook, a white powerbait ball on the eyelet and a small bit of double green powerbait that I roll like a small worm over the end of the line that goes into the hook. One other thing that I'm learning as a newbie is that rod type does matter. I only have medium-heavy rods and I barely feel the bite with trout and not much action in the fight. I'm looking at getting a light rod to turn the action up when pulling them in.
I almost forgot to post the stringer of it all.
Heading out there tomorrow.. Which pond should i hit up? Gonna be soaking powerbait and throwing rooster tails
I believe they only stock the first big pond... the one with the island right next to the parking lot.

Good luck!
hybrid90 wrote:
I believe they only stock the first big pond... the one with the island right next to the parking lot.

Good luck!

I feel like there may be some monster LMB out by that island out there getting far off the planted trout! If only you could get a bait out there!
Yeah like hooking a ten pounder weight to your line and shot putting it out there. That's the only way you're getting your line to that island lol.
I can't believe the way that thing gets fished out. The bite is already slow. I went out this morning for 4 hours and skunked. Walked around half the pond and out of the 15 or so guys that I checked with only 1 had managed to pull anything in.

Adam
I was also out there this morning. No bites to be had, though i talked to the same guy as blackbag. He only got one. That place gets incredible amounts of fishing pressure... Stopped by the smaller perc ponds to try for some largies with no results.
Anyone know if it's been restocked yet? DFG has a news report of 30,000 pounds of trout going into the bay area ponds and lakes this month. 1500 is supposed to go into the percs.