Will the fish still be alive?

It's my first time to see the fish snapping my line.
I was using a 8lb p-line linked to 15lb braid and the p-line snapped just about landing the fish.
I eyeballed about a 2 pounder.
The line broke above the hook and it might still be hooked on its mouth with a 3/16oz drop shot weight.
;| I feel so guilty and worried if it would cause any fetal effect to the bass.
Should be , usually the hook in the lip it will become loose in time if the bass feeding hanging round the rocks it might open up the hole and fall out ,
I believe the fish will be fine.. I caught a fish once that had line coming directly out of the back of the bass's throat!! It was pretty amazing. The line was still sticking out about three feet pass it's closed jaw. She must of broke someone off and started passing the hook. I cut the line as far back I could and let her go.. I've also have caught a fish that was in the process of passing a hook it was coming out of the shitter area ( don't know the right word! Lol) fish was healthy as could be. Like almaden said it will most likely come loose if it was in the lip!! And if not someone will catch it again someday and take it out for you. :)
Good to know. Thx!!
I feel much better now.
Now you'll be able to sleep tonight without having a nightmare about a bass with a hook in it's mouth trying to hook you!! Lol
yeah! :D
The bass power is way beyond my imagination.
It makes me wonder if it is fine to tie the d-shot rig directly to the 15lb braid without the leader.
amazonhunter wrote:
yeah! :D
The bass power is way beyond my imagination.
It makes me wonder if it is fine to tie the d-shot rig directly to the 15lb braid without the leader.

sounds like knot failure to me.........i personally use 6lb floro when dshotting
i should mention i stopped using braid on my finesse fishing rod for the issue i had with knot failure. i was never in boy scouts and my knot tying capabilities and rather under par. albright knots work though, you should try that one if you havent.

now on my finesse/dropshot rod i just spooled the whole reel with 6lb floro, will never go back.
FriedKalamari wrote:
i should mention i stopped using braid on my finesse fishing rod for the issue i had with knot failure. i was never in boy scouts and my knot tying capabilities and rather under par. albright knots work though, you should try that one if you havent.

now on my finesse/dropshot rod i just spooled the whole reel with 6lb floro, will never go back.

Thanks for the tip. Which brand of floro will you recommend?
I normally use seagaur invizX or abrazX(more abrasive but more $$). highly recommended.

i spooled maxima flouro for my new dropshot setup and its great as well, and less expensive, I wanna say the seagaur has less memory though.
Its amazing the stuff a bass can pass. I've pulled on fishing line hanging from a bass' bunghole and pulled out a texas rigged 10' power worm with a 5/0 hook.
Once I caught a six pounder at almaden. Its stomach was so sucked in, it looked diseased. Its bunghole was as big as a dime, with something sharp pointing out. I gently squeezed its stomach and the biggest crawdad claw and arm came out. Claw first, wedged open! I saved that fish life!
As said the fish should be okay, especially if its only lip hooked. Even deep hooked fish usually live if you cut the line quickly and get them back in the water. Hooks in the fish's body/mouth will dissolve in less than a month typically. Bass eat lots of dangerous things and are used to having thing lodged in them. Crawdads are like armored hot dogs when you think about from a bass' perspective. Tasty, but tough to digest. Not to mention bluegill....lots of fish die from trying to eat a 'gill and getting spiked!
Ya they tend to try to bite off more then they can chew. I was in the south end of Anderson once and saw a couple guys in a foldabout boat and they said they just dislodged a two pound crappie out of a four pound bass. Guess it couldn't spit it back out because of the fins getting caught in the mouth of the bass. I guess the bass was just flopping on the surface and that's how they noticed it. Bass are greedy eaters!! Lol just like when u catch that 4" bass on your crankbait/topwater.. It's hilarious that they think they can take on something ad big as them..
So I agree with most everything said , with a few exceptions.
Hooks don't disolve , they rust , eventually creating a "hole" were it is lodged in the bass ,hopefully falling out or passing thru the fish. The real big issue for the fish , is eating other food if a hook , lure , jig etc....is stuck somewhere that prohibits it's ability to eat and pass food thru their system. I read a recent article published in BASS , were in some Lakes in Texas , bass are eating Senko's that are left in the Lakes and can not digest them completely and the bass eventually die due to starvation. They had one dead bass that had six Senko's in it's stomach and the "autopsy " showed it died from starvation. So ,yes bass are greedy and they can "pass" alot of stuff . JUst another reason to practice catch and release.
1Old man
Well put. You should change your username to 1wiseoldman!! Lol and about the rust I believe your right because I caught a fish with a hook in it's lip and it was rusted up. Took it out and let it go.. It's hard to imagine a hook dissolving but I beleve I've read it somewhere who knows how true it is though.
what i have been told, most of the time a hook will rust out. even if its in the gullet. i hate letting them go like that, but sometimes you have to. its better then just trying to pull the hook out and taking its insides out with the hook.
Mike, your stories sound scary. I never expect to do surgeries for fish when I fish. lol